Thursday, February 21, 2013

Art Journaling with Dreamweaver Stencils

Its my turn over at Paper Craft Planet for our weekly Dreamweaver Stencils tutorial and today I am using my stencils in my Art Journal.  This is the page that I created:


I began by spreading Seedless Preserves Distress Paint onto my pages.  I then added Peeled Paint Distress Paint to the bottom of the page and Adirondack Aqua acrylic paint to the top.  I spritzed the pages heavily with water and let the paint drip and blend a bit and then wiped up some excess with a paper towel.


Next I masked off the top part f the pages and then sprayed white ink through the DWS Mosaic Swirls stencil, repeating this across the middle of the page.


This is what the page looked like at this point:


Next I used the Paisley background stencil and sprayed Green Tea Memories Mist in the same manner.

                                       

I sponged Black acrylic paint through the Butterfly stencil, carrying the paint slightly on the outside of the stencil and connecting the paint to some of the edges to "ground" the butterflies.


This is what the butterflies looked like:


I thought it would be fun to add some texture using the grass portions of the Mushroom stencil.  Using a Spectrum Noir marker I drew directly through the grass areas and then connected them after removing the stencil.


Next I thought I would add some embossing paste for texture, and I actually didn't even tape the stencil down.  I applied it in different parts of the stencil randomly around the edges scraping it on like one would use gesso.  The stencil used for the border is Large Flourish.







I finished the page off by painting a half #10 tag with the Seedless Preserves and spraying the same colors and stencils that I used on the background then added a sentiment from a new Tim Holtz set.  

Here is a closer shot of the spray, paste, and painted sections where the overlap.


Hope you enjoy!  And don't forget it's time again for the Dreamweaver Stencils Love and Friendship Challenge over at the Dream It Up blog! sure to check out what the Dream Team has for you this week:




7 comments:

  1. Wow Cyndi, this is so cool! I love your combination of colors,techniques and products!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cyndi, I can see you too are having way too much fun with the new Distress Paints and Dylusion sprays! Thanks for the art journal spread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wowed by the colors, techniques and textures in your journal pages. I really want to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of fun componets and lots of fun. Great tip for journaling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great technique filled project! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried to leave a message yesterday, but had an issue. Hopefully, this comment will work. Lol. I love how you are incorporating the stencils in with your art journals. Great tip regarding the butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are amazing! Love this page with the drippy background and white paint stenciled areas. Thanks for the inspiration and for your detailed instructions.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a comment! Every comment makes me smile :)