Sunday, September 9, 2012

Art Journaling for Dummies

I have finally succumb to the trend of Art Journaling!  I mean, once you've met Dyan Reaveley how can you NOT want to start journaling?  I was lucky enough to see her at CHA last January and absolutely fell in love with her stamps and eye for colors.

And now one of my local stores has all of her sprays, stamps, and stencils and I must say that I just HAD to indulge a wee bit.  So now that I've played around with the Dylusions sprays on other projects I thought it was finally time to leap into the Art Journaling world.


I just love the reindeer from the Christmas Accessories set so I thought I would begin my journey with Christmas.  Above is the right facing page from my journal and below is the left facing page.

I started by Spraying both pages with Fresh Lime and Vibrant Turquoise Dylusions Ink Sprays.  I then used the small Let It Snow stencil ad sprayed through it with water to get ghosted snowflakes on my pages.

(I'm not very happy normally with my journaling attempts in my scrapbooks so for the right page you'll notice I added some song lyrics.  I left room on the left page to add some more journaling...cause let's face it...Art Journaling isn't just about the art LOL)


I then added some background stamping to the pages with the trees from Christmas Backgrounds set in Tim Holtz Peacock Feathers Distress ink.  I traced through different stencils on various parts of my pages and them colored them in with Dylusions ink and a waterbrush.


Here's the adorable reindeer and I couldn't resist adding a moustache to him from the same Christmas Accessories set.  His nose was colored with Red stickles, and I also added red, green, and yellow stickles to my Christmas lights.


For my words on this page I had to create some letters to match Dyan's style so I simply used bits and pieces of other letters from her stencils.  ALso went to town adding doodling with a miulti-liner pen and white gel pen.


Heres a closeup of the snowflake stencil that I sprayed the Green ink through.
(AND note to self:  my journal pages aren't quite thick enough to hold up to ink on both sides!  When this page was done I sprayed the back with pinks and oranges and some leaked through! Aaccck!!  Luckily it just added a bit more interest!



OK, so I'm signing off for the day...hopefully to work on my next Journal pages!  Hope you've had a great weekend!



5 comments:

  1. OK, I LOVE this! So glad you posted it. Your doodling around the trees and in letters is great. Please show us more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pages! I really want to start art journalling- I'm hoping taking a class from Donna Downey in a few weeks will kick start that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried art journalling but this has me really wanting to try. i just love the little reindeer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your pages.
    I have been wondering which Christmas stamps to get, you have just made up my mind for me :0)

    Look forward to seeing the rest of your pages.

    Nicki.xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a comment! Every comment makes me smile :)