Monday, October 21, 2013

Gelli Printing with Tim Holtz Distress Paints

Good morning!  I'm up today on Paper Craft Planet with a tutorial for you using my Gelli plate and the new Tim Holtz Distress paint colors.  Here's the finished journal page that I did in my Dylusions Mini Journal:


First you need to gather your supplies.  I used my Gelli plate, Tim Holtz Distress Paint, Tim Holtz's new layering stencils,  and a brayer.


Even though the Distress Paints have a dauber on top its easier for this technique to open the lid and pour out a few drops.  Be careful, the distress paint is more fluid than most paints you would usually use for Gelli-printing so it pours out quickly!


Next brayer the paint into a thin coat, slightly mixing the colors but not too much.  You still want to see the variegation.  After I brayered it out I used a spatula (that I cut grooves into) to create some texture.


Place your journal or other paper onto the Gelli plate and rub.

Next I cleaned the rest of the greens off and brayered some reds. I added a stencil on top then pressed my page over the gelli again.


This is what it looked like at this point:


Next I added darker greens and a new stencil and transfered that to my page:


Then it looked like this:


I added some background stamping an inked y edges with the dark green paint:


Finally I added some Dylusions images that I stamped on watercolor paper and colored with a waterbrush and distress paint:


Supplies:
Gelli plate (Gelli Arts)
Brayer (Ranger)
Aged Mahogany, Festive Berries, Evergreen Bough, Pine Needles, Bundled Sage Distress Paint (Ranger)
Black Archival pad (Ranger)
Christmas Backgrounds, Christmas Borders, Christmas Words, Day of the Heads Dylusions stamps (Ranger)
Distress Watercolor paper (Ranger)
Dylusions small journal (Ranger)
Copic multi liner

Do you have a gelli plate that you bought and then stashed away?  Pull it out and try it!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave me a comment! Every comment makes me smile :)